11/07/2011

Legend of The Cock of Barcelos.


Portuguese legend
( English)

Once upon a time, in town of Barcelos appeared a weary pilgrim, who was looking for some rest. He entered the town curious and excited and stopped at the market. He was surprised by the wealth sold there.
Next to him a shabby man wanted to steal jewels. A distracted merchant didn`t see anything. The pilgrim wanted to stop the thief but he threatened him, threw the jewels at him and shouted:” It was him! He is a thief! Catch him!”
The people took the pilgrim to a judge. The judge was very angry because he was about to have his dinner – a cock. He shouted: “Who dares to disturb me so late in the evening? I am tired and I am hungry and this cock was very expensive”
The merchant said:” Forgive me Sir! But the man I bring to you doesn`t deserve forgiveness because he tried to steal jewels” The pilgrim tried to defend himself but the judge decided to lock him in the dungeons and sentenced him to death. As his last wish he asked to see the judge who was already eating dinner.
“I swear that I am innocent” and as a proof he said that the roasted cock on the judge`s table will crow. Nobody believed him but the cock raised its head off the table and crowed loudly. The pilgrim was spared and set off his way to Santiago.